Your First Dental Visit
Our practice is committed to providing you with state-of-the-art dental care in a comfortable and caring environment. We understand that you may feel anxious about visiting the dentist and treatment procedures. In our practice, we believe one of the best ways to eliminate these concerns is to make sure you are fully informed about all aspects of your dental health and any treatment that might be advised for you. After your comprehensive evaluation by Dr. Sinks he will review his findings with you and any treatment recommendations he has made. Please allow at least one hours time for your initial examination.
Your first visit is all about you - your comfort, your needs and your dental health
Your first visit with Dr. James H. Sinks includes:
- A review of your dental and medical history. These forms can be downloaded.
- Full mouth dental probing or periodontal charting
- A complete oral cancer screening
- An oral exam - Dr. Sinks will perform an assessment of your teeth and gums.
- Evaluation of necessary radiographs. If the required x-rays are not available, they will be taken during your evaluation.
- Clinical photographs of your dentition.
- Evaluation and review of the risk factors for periodontal disease.
- Preliminary discussion of your dental needs.
- A report will be generated and sent to your referring Doctor along with any x-rays or photographs taken in our office.
On many occasions Dr. Sinks will need to discuss the particular needs of your clinical findings with your referring Doctor. Occasionally it is necessary to obtain additional records or x-rays, for example a CT Scan. This may require that you return to the office for a review of findings and case presentation before scheduling any required treatment. For patients with an emergency situation such as an abscess, pain, or a fractured tooth, every effort will be made to treat these critical situations as soon as possible. Dr. Sinks will also answer any questions you may have. The staff is also available to answer questions and discuss procedures.
Dr. Sinks works in close collaboration with your referring Doctor. An accurate diagnosis is necessary in order to establish a treatment plan with predictable, long term results. After the exam, a detailed written report and a copy of the radiographs will be sent to your referring doctor. It is important to remember that to provide you with comprehensive dental care, it is a coordinated effort between Dr. Sinks, your referring doctor and you.
Bring your smile; but also remember to bring these things with you to your first dental appointment:
- Your completed Health History Forms
- Your insurance card
- If you normally premedicate with antibiotics prior to dental visits, please take the medication you have been prescribed ONE HOUR before your exam with Dr. Sinks. Your premedication is required even for your initial exam and for all maintenance or cleaning appointments with your Hygienist.
No matter what your age, visiting the dentist on a regular basis will help keep your teeth and gums healthy, and your smile bright!
The American Dental Association recommends that you visit the dentist at least every six months for regular checkups and routine cleanings. Dr. Sinks often recommends that patients with periodontal concerns alternate their dental cleanings between his office and your general dentist. Patients who have active periodontal disease or have been treated for periodontitis in the past are usually placed on a more frequent maintenance program with cleanings every 3 or 4 months by the hygienist.
We understand that you have a busy schedule and we respect the value of your time. Please plan at least one hour with Dr. Sinks for your initial exam. A dental cleaning or maintenance appointment is also a one hour appointment. If it is necessary for you to reschedule your appointment, we do require a 48 hour notice.
When it's time for your next dental appointment, please call (858) 541-7676, and our friendly office staff will be ready to help you schedule.